Tuesday, October 20, 2009

...things I like to look at...

I can barely think in coherent sentences most days, which makes those fellowship essays a bit of a chore. But I really don't talk that much throughout the week anyway. Usually I spend a lot of time just staring, watching, hopefully comprehending.

Here's a list of things that I don't mind looking at again and again:

1. Nanami Cowdroy's art:


 

Most of you might recognize the first piece from my laptop and my old ipod (r.i.p Bandit). The Japanese-Australian artist's blending of intricate design to illustrate familiar and foreign themes speaks to me. When I bought my laptop decal at GelaSkins, one person reviewed that with one of Nanami's prints you wouldn't fail to get noticed from random passerby, which has proven true. But even more interestingly to me, you always know when you're looking at a Nanami Cowdroy piece. And not just by the red stamp of her name in the corner, but by the unique interplay of light and dark, and detail,  her signature style.

2. Oakland

Well, pictures of Oakland technically. I'm working on a story right now that I decided, on a whim, to set by Lake Merritt. We lived there for a while when I was in elementary school and I loved it. And living in a city like Columbus (all offense) makes it really easy to miss a place like home. Seriously, as usual I've got a list of things I must see/do/eat when I'm home:
  • buying jewelry/knick knacks on Telegraph. I seriously haven't done this in years. Who's down?
  • Blondie's pizza- turkey pepperoni. nuff said. no seriously, only in california would a pizza place have pepperoni w/o pork. holla!
  • bancroft clothing- i don't know why though
  • sushi
  • skates... i don't think i really want to drop money like that, but hell... maybe
  • monterey bay aquarium- i've never been but we're taking the heathens for Sierra's 7th 'cause I'm coming home!
  • Loard's- banana
  • taco trucks
  • MOAD- i haven't been in a while, might as well see what's new. Who's down?
  • Asian Art museum- again, who's  down?
  • the fam
  • Jean
  • Jessica
  • the SMC fam
  • BART!- hell even AC transit... COTA's got nothing on them.
  • saying hella without any flak!
  • Nations, but only after a drunken night in Jack London. I'm not even asking, Jean- get ready!
  • being near water

3. Katrina Fema Jackson


Seriously, she's like free entertainment and since she's kind of crazy, it works....

4. My babies:

2 comments:

AMLC said...

Sigh. pack me in your suitcase. please.

Tim said...

interesting debate quietly being waged concerning the Asian Art Museum and whether it gives an authentic representation of Asian culture. Check out http://www.asiansart.org/ for more (and no, the "s" in the middle is not a typo)