Thursday, September 3, 2009

...reading is sexy...



Books I love/am reading/will read
be forewarned: I have very varied tastes...

Fiction
Bastard Out of Carolina by Dorothy Allison*

Persuasion by Jane Austen*

The Street by Anne Petry

Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte*

Their Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neale Hurston*

Girl, Interrupted by Susana Kaysen*

Wicked by Gregory Maguire

The Witching Hour by Anne Rice

The Namesake by Jhumpa Lahiri*

The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown

Non-Fiction/History

A People on the Boil: Reflections on Soweto by Harry Mashabela

Ella Baker & the Black Freedom Movement by Barbara Ransby

Assata: An Autobiography by Assata Shaku

Black Power: Radical Politics and African American Identity by Jeffrey O.G. Ogbar

Claudia Jones: A Life in Exile by Marika Sherwood

The Body Project: An Intimate History of American Girls by Joan Jacobs Brumberg

Feministy Things
Scum Manifesto by Valeries Solanas

Black British Feminism: A Reader ed. Heidi Safia Mirza

Talking Back by bell hooks

Reading Now
Afro-Future Females ed. Marlene S. Barr

Summers at Castle Auburn by Sharon Shinn

A Bone to Pick by Charlaine Harris

The Nawal El Saadawi Reader

The River by Edward Hooper

For Their Triumphs and For Their Tears by Hilda Bernstein

On the come-up... eventually
Kindred by Octavia Butler

The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold

What Looks Like Crazy on an Ordinary Day by Pearl Cleage

Daughters of the Dust by Julie Dash

White Rising: The 1922 Insurrection and Racial Killing in South Africa by Jeremy Krikler

Unaccustomed Earth by Jhumpa Lahiri

Living for the Revolution by Kimberly Springer

The Montgomery Bus Boycott and the Women Who Started It by Jo Ann Robinson

Coming of Age in Mississippi by Anne Moody

Telling Histories ed. Deborah Gray White

All the Women are White, All the Blacks are Men, But Some of Us are Brave by Gloria Hull, Patricia Bell Scott & Barbara Smith

Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister by Gregory Maguire

I also read a lot of fiction online... some of which is better than stuff Amazon recommends... so if you're into popular fiction check out The Chamber. (My favorite authors are TokenBlackGirl and BlackMamba, but there are lots of good people writing on there...)

And because I love yall, I'm posting my shelfari bookshelf on the site. So keep track of my reading and maybe even join and be my friend (hint: Jean).

* denotes a damn good film adaptation... I liked Tom Hanks and The Da Vinci Code, but Angels & Demons ruined it for me...

5 comments:

AMLC said...

feministy...I've heard that somewhere before...

-nicole- said...

it is right... actually it's not but the pic i wanted was totally restricted... fucking privacy issues.

uh, yea... someone i know totally uses the word feministy a lot... apparently it's freaking seeped into my brain!

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

Anonymous said...

I am the sort of guy who enjoys to try original things. Currently I'm making my personalized photovoltaic panels. I'm managing it all alone without the help of my men. I'm using the net as the only path to acheive this. I stumbled upon a truly awesome website which explains how to make photovoltaic panels and so on. The site explains all the steps involved in solar panel construction.

I am not really sure about how accurate the data given there iz. If some guys over here who had xp with these works can have a see and give your feedback in the page it will be grand and I would highly treasure it, because I extremely enjoy solar panel construction.

Tnx for reading this. U guys are the best.

Anonymous said...

Thank you :-) look at that emo boy one over this blog:
http://www.emo--boys.info