Wednesday, July 8, 2009

...blogging on the sly...

In reponse to Jean's rent-a-baby rant:

This is so you. I feel like a few years ago you were over kids and hating on people who had them. Now you're all in love with kids and hating on people who have them. SMH

Anyway, I feel you though. I mean seriously why are so many people having kids? And all the people I know popping out offspring can't afford them, at all. I'm all for having chidren but you will never, EVER, see me with a mini-me unless I got the income to take care of them. (And I don't mean my man got a job, cause that's about as secure as the US-Canada border!) Also, I certainly will never have more kids than I can afford. There aint nothing cute about going on public assistance when you could have just not had them kids and stayed financially stable (of sorts). You knew you were poor before, what did you think would happen after you popped 'em out (I'm talking to you Octo-Mom!!!!)

I just read a report that having an uncomplicated birth (non-c-section) is over $7,000. Now I don't know about yall but I can't afford that. I can't even begin to afford that, so I would have to go on a payment plan. And if I did that and then (stupidly) had another kid I would be paying those little suckers off AND buying diapers, food, milk, rent, bills, etc. What?! No ma'am...
Also, and this is just my own private soap box, seriously if you want a kid so bad adopt. I will never in my life understand people's obsession with needing to have biological kids. Being a mother (and a father) is about so much more than genetics. If what you really want is to give someone a good life, do it for the millions of kids (in this country and around the world) who seriously need it. No need to make yet another crying helpless person.

And sex-ed in school. I could go a million different ways about how cutting that out is the most ridiculous thing in the world, but all I'll say is if you really want to make kids think twice about having unprotected sex and a boatload of kids they can't take care of, give 'em a real one. Everytime I think I want to have a kid now I go home and spend a day with my nieces and nephew or even just call them. I'm super selfish, I love to spend money on cheap wine, food and books, I like my apartment to be moderately noisy (not too quiet, not too loud), I'm messy and my apartment always looks like a bit of a train wreck, if left to my own devices I stay up until midnight or later and wake up around 7 but I try not to get out of bed until 10 or later, I spend entire days in my house reading books and watching tv (leaving only when I don't have any food), I come home tipsy/drunk often and... other things...

Essentially what I'm saying is to even think about having a child in that kind of life (or other worse ones) would be the most irresponsible thing I could ever think about doing. So since I'm not even willing to consider changing my lifestyle I don't need to have kids. What we should be teaching kids is that if they're not willing to be good parents (at least!)and do every selfless thing that that entails, WRAP IT UP!

As a depressing goodbye, everytime people think of being a parent they think of pretty, chubby smiling kids, they never think of malnourished babies, abandoned kids on the streets, children who are abused, poor kids who don't have enough food or clothing to really survive the winter, or kids who grow up to hate their parents. Because speaking from my own experience, my dad was horrible to me and my brother, he should have wrapped that ish up and my mom should have gone to college... (I'll disguise my complete sci-fi nerdiness and not ruminate on the alternative universe-I would never be writing this post if that had happened thing, but just know that I'm thinking about it...)

p.s.
I'm totally at my desk writing this, I so need to get back to work...

No comments: