Thursday, June 16, 2011

Resting

I've been thinking recently about things that I do for other people; to put their mind at ease. Or rather, things that other people expect me to do.

When I teach I often nod when my students express themselves, rather than stare at them blandly the way I stare at everyone. My awesomely expressive face (yall know) does not do mild interest. (In fact my best expressions must be severe annoyance or disbelief.) When I realized recently that I was nodding at a student but had ABSOLUTELY no idea what he/she were saying (and was sure they hadn't done the reading) I thought of something The Witzig told me as an undergrad. Something about how female undergrads nod a lot in class. Or something (it's been a lot of years since then).

I didn't used to be this person. Ask anyone who went to college with me. I used to stare off into space if someone said something uninteresting, glare if their comment was annoying or stupid, and make eye contact, sometimes smiling, if I thought they were contributing something valuable. But nod, just to make someone feel secure? That I did not do.

So why now? Honestly I don't know, but I imagine that at least part of it has to do with the changes one makes while in a mildly hostile environment.

As I'm getting ready to (possibly) leave my graduate program to head home and continue writing my dissertation I've found myself explaining to my friends in Ohio (all 2 of you!) why I'm leaving. And while there are practical reasons, the only one that matters is that I feel I have a support system at home. And not necessarily my family (although my mom's awesome) but more my mentors who helped me get through SMC. The people who stoked an enthusiasm and passion in me that I can barely remember. The implication is clear: I do not have those things here. At least not in the same ways.

But does this have anything to do with the nodding?

Honestly I'm not sure. I've felt uneasy for most of my time in this program. And intellectually under siege. As in, I've felt that the simple fact that I am an intellectual is, for many people that I've encountered here, under serious consideration.

So maybe I nod because it's easier. Because if I make people feel as if I understand what they're saying maybe they won't notice when I tell them that what they're saying is nonsensical or utter shit. Or maybe if I reassure people that they're saying something I agree with they'll reconsider the other things I have to say. Or maybe (and this is most likely) maybe I stopped giving a shit about this pursuit. This isn't a journey I want to be on anymore. I'm not sure I want to be a historian, b/c for the most part (but not entirely) the historians I've met here depress me and make me really wish I'd picked another discipline. And so I nod because if I'm lucky I'll get a job in a school where people don't say "cultural history" as if it's a disease, my colleagues don't marginalize people who look like me because they assume we haven't contributed anything to history, people don't expect me to agree with them as an indication of my intellect, and the rhetoric of collegiality is so much more than rhetoric.

So the nodding is a symptom, clearly not the disease. And it's not the only symptom. I wonder how many times I've said "I'm fine" "no problem" "everything's cool" "I know" "that's what I thought" "yea, I totally get it" "no, that's not trifling" "hi" recently. Some of these things I say to make people feel better. Some of these things I say because I don't want anyone to worry. Some of these things I say because they're expected. And some of these things I say because it's automatic. And these days I prefer autopilot as much as possible. 

4 comments:

Raquelita said...

I saw a FB status from a friend/colleague who is an Associate Prof. a while back about how she doesn't like to just smile as a response to someone because that's what's expected of her. It really got me to thinking about how often I randomly smile or nod or do things that I don't necessarily think I should. This post resonates with that to some extent.

I saw on FB that you were leaving Ohio and I've been meaning to ask you about it, but I didn't want to come off as nosy. I hope that your passion is rekindled and that you continue to call people on their bullshit.

Unknown said...

I <3 you! Even though I do not under any circumstance want you so far away, I know that you will be happier in Cali...so I am gonna push aside my selfishness (maybe) and say I will just come to Cali to visit!

-nicole- said...

Ray- I was thinking when I started this post about the things I've started doing in grad school that are very much expected of female academics. God forbid we be serious, possibly unsmiling, and potentially disagreeable. So I completely understand what your friend is referencing. It's weird because I refused to nod or smile as an undergrad unless I actually understood or agreed or at least was interesting. So I don't know why I've started doing it in grad school, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't troubled.
Yes! I am leaving Ohio. I'm out of funding and have been really unhappy in Ohio for a while now, so I'm moving home to finish writing, AND some of my research will be based out of the Bay Area, so in that respect it makes sense.

Dawn- I heart you too! Just come visit!!!! My mom would be so happy to see you and Seli again. And yea, I really think I will be happier there so... :D But I'll miss you more than words. :(

AMLC said...

The move is a must in my book. You've hung on and managed to navigate a system with no help (but plenty of road blocks) AND not get dragged into any 'games'. It's taken a toll and now you need to go where you are you.
While I was there I found myself staring into space a lot, but feeling the same way. Thinking about it, I do nod a lot...although with teaching middle school/high school I comfort myself with the idea that it helps students feel more comfortable contributing in class. But you are right about nodding, I think.
Don't just go back, run back! Plus, I can visit and make you take me to get awesome food. So, I'd make you go back either way...